Choosing a citation manager
Next to RefWorks, Mendeley and Zotero are available as citation managers. See the overview of pros and cons for each of these tools.
RefWorks consists of two components: a website and an Add-in in Word. First create an account on the website and then install the Add-in in Word.
Creating a RefWorks account
- Go to https://refworks.proquest.com and choose Create Account.
- Fill in your UvA email address (you can change this later), click Check and fill in the required personal details.
- You will receive a confirmation email from RefWorks with your login details. Your account will remain active as long as the UvA has a licence for RefWorks.
RefWorks in Word
On your own computer, install RefWorks Citation Manager (RCM) via the Word Add-ins. On UvA-computers, RCM is already installed and visible as an extra tab.
Please note: on UvA-computers the older Write-n-Cite (WNC) plugin is available until the beginning of December 2023. Only use RCM from now on, and do not use WNC and RCM in one-and-the-same document.You will find more information in the RefWorks Handout
Collecting and organising references
- Importing references. Titles found in CataloguePlus, databases and Google Scholar can be directly imported and saved in RefWorks. For all the tips read Export instructions.
- Organizing references. If you frequently import titles it is advisable to organise them in folders. Create folders and move references from Not in folder to a folder. You can also create subfolders.
- Sharing references. By sharing a folder you create a link to the content of your folder. You can authorize the other person to change references and provide comments in a shared folder.