Requesting a Library Card
A library card for external borrowers entitles you to the following:
- Requesting, borrowing and viewing books, journals and other printed materials.
- Consulting heritage materials in the Allard Pierson Reading Room.
- Consulting the digital collection via a public PC in the University Library Singel.
- Use study and consultation spaces.
- Request materials from other libraries (for a fee). Read more about Borrowing from other libraries.
With a library card it is not possible to:
Procedure Requesting a Library Card
After applying, we will send a message when the library card is ready for you. As a rule, this is after two working days. When collecting your card, please bring a valid ID and documentary evidence showing your current home address. If you are entitled to a free card we will ask you to prove this (proof of registration or salary specification).
Types of Library Cards
- A library card for 1 year (€ 40). To see if you are eligible for a free library card, go to the Free Library Card section.
- An consultation card for 1 week (€ 15). With this card materials can only be requested and viewed, not borrowed.
- An AdamNet card. With this card you can borrow from several libraries in Amsterdam. This pass can only be taken out at the Amsterdam Public Library. For more information go to the Adamnet website.
Free Library Card
- Students and employees of Dutch universities affiliated with the UvN.
- Students and employees of the Amsterdam Hoogeschool van de Kunsten and the Gerrit Rietveld Academie.
- Employees of the Koninklijke Bibliotheek and the KNAW.
- Holders of an AdamNet card.
- Alumni who are members of the Amsterdam University Association (AUV).
Renewing or Changing your Library Card
Renewing Library Card
Six weeks before your library card expires, you will receive an email with instructions on how to renew your membership.
Changing Personal Data
Please, notify the Library of any change of address, email address, name etc. via our contact form.
Replacement Library Card
You can report the loss or theft of your library card to us via our contact form. A replacement card costs € 5. If you can show an official police report replacement is free.
Alternatives to a Library Card
- Borrow from us through your own library. Do you only need a few materials and are you already a member of a public library or another university library? Then you can request books and scans from us through your own library (interlibrary loan). Books are sent to your own library. You will receive scans by email. Ask your own library about the possibilities and costs.
- Membership Koninklijke Bibliotheek. The Koninklijke Bibliotheek (KB) has a large digital and physical collection especially in the field of humanities and social sciences. Members of the KB can also access these digital collections from home. Continue reading on the website of the Koninklijke Bibliotheek for more information.