For those who are not (or no longer) affiliated with the UvA or AUAS but want to make regular use of the Library's collections can request a library card.
Due to the new corona measures, it is not possible to request or renew a Library Card. The changes apply - until further notice - until Monday, 15 March 2021.
Requesting a Library Card
A library card for external borrowers entitles you to the following:
- Requesting, borrowing and viewing books, journals and other printed materials.
- Consulting heritage materials in the Allard Pierson Research Room (reservation in advance is required).
- Consulting the digital collection via a public PC in the University Library Singel (reservation in advance is required).
- Access to the open collections. At the moment access is only possible on location UB Singel and only for consulting non-loanable works (reservation in advance is required).
With a library card it is not possible to:
- book a study space;
- consult our digital collection from home. Different conditions apply to alumni and pensioners. Read more on our page about Online Access to the Collection.
Types of Library Cards
- A library card for 1 year (€ 40). To see if you are eligible for a free library card, go to the Free Library Card section.
- An consultation card for 1 week (€ 15). With this card materials can only be requested and viewed, not borrowed.
- An AdamNet card (€ 50). With this card you can borrow from several libraries in Amsterdam. For more information go to the Adamnet website.
Procedure Requesting a Library Card
After applying, we will send a message when the library card is ready for you. As a rule, this is after two working days. When collecting your card, please bring a valid ID and documentary evidence showing your current home address. If you are entitled to a free card we will ask you to prove this (proof of registration or salary specification).
Free Library Card
- Students and employees of Dutch universities affiliated with the VSNU.
- Students and employees of the Amsterdam Hoogeschool van de Kunsten and the Gerrit Rietveld Academie.
- Employees of the Koninklijke Bibliotheek and the KNAW.
- Holders of an AdamNet card.
- Alumni who are members of the Amsterdam University Association (AUV).
Renewing or Changing your Library Card
Renewing Library Card
Two months before your library card expires, you will receive an email with instructions on how to renew your membership.
Changing Personal Data
Please, notify the Library of any change of address, email address, name etc. via our contact form.
Replacement Library Card
You can report the loss or theft of your library card to us via our contact form. A replacement card costs € 5. If you can show an official police report replacement is free.
Alternatives to a Library Card
- Borrowing from other libraries. Do you only need a few materials and are you already a member of a public library or another university library? Then you can request books and scans from us through your own library (interlibrary loan). Books are sent to your own library. You will receive scans by email. Inquire about the options and costs at your own library.
- Membership Koninklijke Bibliotheek. Those who are particularly interested in consulting the digital collection should consider membership of De Koninklijke Bibliotheek. De Koninklijke Bibliotheek offers members the opportunity to consult digital collections from home. For more information see the website of the Koninklijke Bibliotheek.