Search Tips & Tricks
How to find....? offer search tips for all kinds of publications.
It may be important to know exactly how a search engine or database works. For a number of databases the Library has provided demos or manuals.
Do you prefer to follow instructions via a video? Then take a look at the UvA's videos on YouTube.
How to use the library catalogue?
What is CataloguePlus?
- CataloguePlus provides searching the physical and online collections of the UvA Library.
- CataloguePlus searches the Catalogue and part of the Databases the library subscribes to.
For more comprehensive searches, use the recommended databases in a particular subject area.
CataloguePlus is accessible without login. A login enables you to request items, check your library account, save records and searches permanently, and get off-campus access to full text publications.
Basic search is a one stop search of the UvA library collections, physical and online. Find out what the select-items near the search bar mean:
- All: all publications and materials covered
- UvA e-articles+: online articles, e-journals, databases and other online content, including open access publications
- UvA books+: books, journals and other physical content, e-books and e-journals in the UvA Library collections
- UvA author: online scholarly output of the Digital Academic REpository UvA-DARE
Use the Advanced search to pre-limit your search to specific fields, material types and publication dates.
Where can I get help?
- Click in CataloguePlus on the questionmark icon for search tips.
- Click in CataloguePlus on the Help button to get a more comprehensive explanation on how to search.
- Still need help? Keep calm and ask the Library!
What can I find in the UvA Library collections?
- books and e-books
- journals and e-journals
- online resources
- manuscripts, including letters
- illustrations, images, prints and more from the Special Collections
- master's theses (print). Electronic theses can be found in UvA Scripties
- audiovisual material: films and documentaries on DVD and video
- maps and atlases
- sheet music
- microfiches and -films
- audio material e.g. CDs and records
- museum objects: archeological objects in the Allard Pierson
Curious about new acquisitions at the Library? Titles of books purchased in the past three months are kept in a separate overview. You can search this list by subject / discipline.
WorldCat Discovery is the tool for searching a lot of Dutch libraries in one go.
Are your starting a search or need some pointers on how to proceed: these pdf's help your on your way. Select your goal:
Are you searching for legal resources? Please take a look at the discipline page for Law.
Advice and workshops
How to navigate the overwhelming sea of information in libraries and on the web? Our subject librarians are happy to help you in finding, selecting and using information for your research. They also give workshops.