The scan service was introduced during the COVID-19 pandemic, in order to offer UvA students and staff access to the collections in the part of the Library that was closed. This service proved to be popular, so the Library has decided to continue to offer digital scans from the collections.
Conditions applicable to scan requests
Submit your scan request via the web form on the Library’s website. All relevant information about the book or other printed material should be provided, so that Library staff will know exactly what has to be scanned. This information can be found for each item in the bibliographical details in the catalogue.
- Requests can only be made for the current printed material from the IWO book depot.
- Scan requests must be submitted through the Library contact form.
- A maximum of 25% of the total number of pages of a publication may be scanned, with a limit of 50 pages per request.
- The digital scans are for personal use.
- Scan requests are free of charge until the end of academic year 2021-2022.
- Processing time is a maximum of 5 working days, but the Library aims for 1 working day.
Lecturers who wish to use scans as teaching material (for example on Canvas) may do so under certain conditions. The step-by-step plan: Reuse for educational purposes explains what you as a teacher must take into account. Teachers who want to create reading lists or readers in Canvas can use the library service Readers in Canvas.