How to find translations of books
On this page:
Search results in UvA’s CataloguePlus may be filtered by language, e.g. Language: French.
Example: you are looking for English translations of works by Thomas Mann in the UvA Catalogue
- select Advanced Search
- set the search key to Author (last name first) and enter mann thomas
- Set the language filter to English
Example: you are looking for English translations of Thomas Mann in PiCarta.
- select Advanced search
- at Author enter mann, thomas
- set the second search window to Code-language and enter eng
- at material selection select Books
If you get too many titles by another author with the same name or if you are uncertain of the spelling or transliteration of the author's name, try to find a title by the author you are looking for:
- click on the author name
- set the first drop-down menu to restrict and enter taa eng
- If you only want to see books, but not articles, restrict once more and enter mat b
Frequently used language codes in PiCarta are:
Index Translationum - International Bibliography of Translations
The Index Translationum contains references to books translated and published since 1979 in ca 100 UNESCO member states. When searching, combine author (and words from the title) and the target language. There are over 100 languages to choose from.
The printed version covers the period of 1932-1978. This reference work can be consulted in the University Library at Singel, study room B 3.01: shelf mark: 011.70.