How to find reviews of books and films
On this page:
Reviews of books and/or films may be found in various databases to which the UvA has a subscription.
LexisNexis Academic contains the full text of the large number of national and international newspapers and weeklies. The database is accessible to UvA staff and students. The Dutch interface can be set to another language.
In Academic Search Premier, enter (words from) the title and change "select a field (optional)" to "reviews and products".
You may also enter the author's name In the next search window, but keep the search key "select a field (optional)".
To search reviews in PiCarta:
- make sure the search menu on the left is set to search [and]
- enter some words from the title, separated by spaces
- add mat a to select the publication type articles
- and click search
In the Internationale Bibliographie der Geistes- und Sozialwissenschaftliche Rezensionen (IBR-Online), the focus is on the social sciences and the humanities. Enter the author's name and some words from the title.
- enter one or more words from the title of the book in the top search window; for non-English titles enter English terms
- add the truncated last name of the author; use an asterisk to truncate
- instead of "topic" select "title" from the drop-down menu, and click "search".
LiteRom contains reviews of Dutch and Flemish literary works. Literom can be consulted within UvA buildings only.
The Bibliografie van de Nederlandse Taal- en Literatuurwetenschap contains publications about Dutch literature and linguistics from 1940 onwards.
Enter a single search term or a phrase in quotes, e.g. "hubert lampo". Then search within the search results, e.g. joachim stiller. Use Geavanceerd to combine search terms in different search fields.
For reviews of primary literature, select the publication type artikel (from journal, book or website). The publication type recensie is used solely for reviews of secondary literature.
FIAF: International FilmArchive
Select Multi-Field Search and follow this example:
|AND||another year||Film Title|
- first search window: enter some words from the title
- second search window: select Film Review in Document Type
Example: million dollar in Title AND Film Review in Document Type
How do I get the actual review?
If a journal is not held by UvA, search the article’s title in PiCarta. Reviews published after 1 September 1992 are available in Dutch libraries. They may be requested by Interlibrary Loan (ILL). Reviews from before September 1992 are not always available in a Dutch library.