How to find images
The UvA catalogue contains the data of over 20,000 images. These are part of the book history, cartography and church history collections. To find them:
- Select Advanced Search
- At bottom right select the filter Pictures
- If you are looking for images by a specific illustrator, select Author (last name first)
example: hooghe, r
- If your are looking for images of a specific person or group of persons, select All fields
- If you are looking for images on a specific subject, select All fields or Words from title
example: higher education
If you are looking for books with many pictures, use the Dutch interface and combine your search term with the term plaatwerken and select the search field Onderwerp, but do not use the publication type filter.
Images not yet catalogued may be found in card catalogues in the Reading Room of the Special Collections.
The UBA image databases [Dutch interface only] contain digitised images from our Special Collections. You can do searches by subject, creator, title, etc.
The database UvA Webbronnen FGw [Dutch interface only] contains web resources for the Humanities with a great many image databases, selected by the Art History subject librarians.
To search this database for images:
- Select Geavanceerd zoeken
- Enter the search term beeld* with alle velden or trefwoord
- Combine it with another search term or limit your search to a specific discipline or country/region/town
Other internet resources
Startpagina Beeldbanken contains links to a great many Dutch image databases.
For older pictures there are image databases of archives. At Europeana you can find digital images from the collections of European museums, libraries and archives.
Other resources are the Image sections of general search engines and websites that allow photo sharing, such as Flickr, Picasa etc. For a listing of such pages, see Wikipedia.
Google Search by Image enables you to search with an image by clicking the camera icon.