How to find audio material
Language courses and audio books
At the desk of the Library of the Faculty of Humanities on the ground floor of P.C. Hoofthuis, Spuistraat 134, you will find language courses and audio books. The collection can be searched via this catalogue, with a Dutch interface only.
- Vakgebied: Discipline, i.e. the language you wish to learn
- at Setting select either cursus (for language courses) or literature (for audio books)
- you can also refine the search by:
Niveau: Level: 1=beginner, 5=advanced
Hulptaal: the language you are proficient in
Vaardigheid: whether you wish to learn to speak (Spreken), listen (Luisteren), read (Lezen), write (Schrijven), or are interested in the culture (Kennis van land en volk).
Language courses and audio books elsewhere in the University Library may be found in CataloguePlus:
- Select Advanced Search
- Select Resource Type: Audiovisual
- instead of Any in the first search window, set it to Subject and enter a Dutch keyword, e.g. Nederlands, and then refine to Catalogue results: UvA. In this way you will find Dutch audio material in the UvA.
If you enter your search term in English, you may also get search results, but often not held by UvA.
The site UvA Webbronnen Geesteswetenschappen contains links to websites with audio and visual material. Most of the material is in the fields of the Humanities. Again the interface is in Dutch only. Add audio to your search.
In the 'UvA Webbronnen Streaming Video' repository you can browse by audio.
On the internet numerous digital audio files (podcasts) are available, such as radio programmes. They can be found by means of any search engine, via the websites of the broadcasting companies and in the Internet Audio Archive.