Reading List in Blackboard
On this page:
As a lecturer you can make the Reading list for your course available in Blackboard, i.e. with direct links to the publications, either to the full text or to a print edition in the UvA library. If you refer to a full-text publication, the same copyright rules hold as for Readers Online.
Step 1: Activating Reading List
- Open a Content Area in your Blackboard course, such as Information or Document, or create a new one
- Go to the tab Add Interactive Tools > Reading List
The window Add Reading List opens. Under 1. List Information, you can enter information for your students.
Step 2: Entering a reference
- At 2. References, click Add to activate the fields
- Enter the title and a description of the publication
Step 3: Entering the link
Paste a stable link in the OpenURL field. An OpenURL is a URL (web address) with the information necessary to link persistently to a publication. There are various ways to find stable links.
- find the publication and click the title
- open the UvA-linker and click More Options > OpenURL
- right mouse click on OpenURL and copy the link address
- paste the copied link into the OpenURL field in Blackboard
In the UvA catalogue:
- Copy the Permalink and paste it into Blackboard
- If you find a link to a PDF file, right-click the PDF icon and copy the URL (for example, http://dare.uva.nl/document/2/75699) into Blackboard
In an article:
- Online articles often have a DOI (Digital Object Identifier) code. By
copying the code and pasting it after http://dx.doi.org/, you create a stable
link to the article. With the DOI 10.1111/j.0141-6790.2004.02701001.x you can,
for example, create the stable link
Step 4: Submitting the reading list
- Click Modify to add the title to the list.
- the link you have entered can now be opened and tested via the UvA-linker button
- use the icons to change, move or delete data
- click Add to enter another title
- Save your data by clicking Submit at the bottom right
- Click OK when you get the message Reading list added
To modify your list, click the arrow button on the right of the list title and select edit.
- If the option Reading List is not available, go to Course Management > Control Panel > Customisation > Tool Availability. Make sure there is a checkmark at Reading List in the column Available in Content Area.
- When entering references, the type font is very small. You can change it by pressing [Ctrl +] or by keeping [Ctrl] pressed when scrolling. The student view usually has an acceptable type font.