Mendeley is a programme which allows you to save and annotate files, such as PDF files of articles, reports etc., as well as Word files. Citations to articles can be processed in Word. You can also collaborate in groups in Mendeley, privately or publicly, and share documents. Mendeley consists of two parts: Mendeley Web and Mendeley Desktop. You can enter literature references in both. Adding and annotating files can be done via Mendeley Desktop only.
On this page:
Choosing a citation manager
Next to Mendeley, RefWorks and Zotero are available as citation managers. See the overview of pros and cons for each of these tools.
Get going with Mendeley
- Use a UvA computer or your own computer to connect to UvAvpn.
- Open an account in Mendeley Web. Use your UvA email address.
- Download Mendeley Desktop. UvA staff can install the program at their workspace via the Start menu: All Programs > Software Maintenance > Application Catalog. At home you can install Mendeley via the download button on the Mendeley website. On the UvA student PCs it is already available.
- Install the Web importer in your browser. This tool makes it quite simple to import citations into Mendeley from a large number of websites and databases.
- Install the Word plug-in via Tools in Mendeley. You will see it in Word under the tab References. With this plug-in you can generate citations and bibliographies in a Word document on the basis of the references you have saved in Mendeley.
Upgrade to the Institutional Edition
If you created your account on a UvA computer or while connected to UvAvpn, you will automatically have access to Mendeley Institutional Edition. You can use this to create an unlimited number of private groups with max. 100 members. The shared storage space is expanded to 100GB.
If you created an account outside the IP range of the UvA, this will be automatically upgraded to the Institutional Edition as soon as you have an internet connection on a UvA computer or with UvAvpn. Should it prove necessary, contact Noor Breuning.
Importing references from RefWorks into Mendeley
Do you have a RefWorks account and would you like to try Mendeley? You can do this by importing your RefWorks citations into Mendeley:
- in RefWorks: Export > select Export Format: BibTex > Export > File > Save page as (Ctrl + S)
- in Mendeley Desktop: File > Import > BibTex > Filetype: all supported formats > Open file
If you would like to switch to Mendeley, you can import all your RefWorks citations folder by folder into Mendeley.