Borrowing from UvA
On this page:
Most publications in the UvA library can be requested online via the UvA CataloguePlus or the UvA catalogue. Exceptions to this rule are books in the faculty libraries which cannot be borrowed or for a short period of time only. These publications cannot be requested or reserved online. Instead, you must collect them from the open shelves yourself and check them out at the library desk or via the lending machine. Books which can be borrowed for the normal loan period can be requested online and sent to another UvA library to be collected there.
Collecting your loans
When requesting books, please indicate from which library you wish to collect it. In principle, it is ready for you the next working day. For requests made on Friday after 15:00, during the weekend and holidays, delivery will be on the first day the library is open again.
Requests can be sent to the following libraries:
- University Library - Singel 425
- Bushuis - Kloveniersburgwal 48
- Special collections - Oude Turfmarkt 129
- Law library - Oudemanhuispoort 4
- Library Learning Centre Roeterseiland Campus - Roetersstraat 11
- Medical library - Meibergdreef 15
- P.C. Hoofthuis - Spuistraat 134
- CEDLA – Roetersstraat 33
- Science library - Science Park 904
As soon as your request is available, you will be notified by email. Requested publications are held for you for 7 days at the library you indicated.
Placing hold requests
If a title is on loan, you can place a hold request. Via My account in UvA CataloguePlus or in the UvA catalogue you can check your requests and see if a publication has arrived yet.
As soon as your request is available, you will be notified by email.
Not available for loan
Some types of publication cannot be borrowed, such as:
- journals and newspapers
- books over 100 years old
- publications in reading rooms
- rare and valuable books
Publications which may not be borrowed, must be consulted in the library. In the University Library you can study them in the reading rooms. In faculty libraries these publications must be used within that particular faculty library.
Publications from before 1900, manuscripts, letters, and special editions requested via the catalogue, must be collected and consulted in the Special Collections library.
Large formats (newspapers, etc.) and requests for exceptionally large numbers of journal volumes must be consulted in the reading room of the UBA book depot (IWO).
Loan period and renewal
The standard loan period is 28 days. Provided the publication has not been requested by someone else, the loan period may be renewed via My account in CataloguePlus or in the UvA catalogue. Online renewal is possible for six months after first borrowing it. After six months it must be renewed at the circulation desk. It is not possible to renew loans by telephone.
Special short-term loan periods are:
- use within library: 1 day (the publication must be returned on the same day before closing time)
- short-term loan: 7 days (collections with set texts for exams)
The loan period of Interlibrary Loans from a non-UvA library cannot be renewed.
Maximum number of loans
The maximum number of books you may borrow is 50.
Publications may be returned to any UvA or HvA library.
Three days before your loan expires you will receive a request to either renew the loan or return it. If items are overdue you will be fined per item.
From the expiry date of the loan we will be sending reminders:
- day 1: no fine yet, renewal is still possible (1st reminder)
- day 7: fine €1.00, renewal is still possible (2nd reminder)
- day 14: fine €4.00, renewal is still possible (3rd reminder)
- day 28: fine €10.00, renewal is not possible (4th reminder).
The fines are per volume and accrue: after 28 days you have a fine of €15.00 per volume. When your fine is €15.00 or more, you can no longer borrow publications or renew other loans. This suspension is cancelled on payment of the fine.
- Day 56: you receive an invoice for replacement costs with a minimum of €75.00 per volume. If you return the loan, the replacement costs are cancelled, but not the fine. If you do not pay the invoice, a debt-collecting agency will be called in.
The above schedule holds for publications with a loan period of 14 or 28 days. For publications with a loan period of 1 day, reminders will be sent on the 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 6th day after expiry of the loan period. For publications with a loan period of 3 or 7 days, reminders will be sent on the 1st, 3rd, 7th and 14th day after expiry of the loan period. In all cases, the invoice will be sent 4 weeks after the 4th reminder.
Reminders and other messages will be sent by email. No rights can be derived from not having received a reminder.
Fines are not cancelled when a loan is returned.
Fines may be paid at the library desk of any UvA library. In the University Library and the P.C. Hoofthuis Library payment is by PIN only.