UvA students satisfied with library site
Mobile site relatively unknown
In April of this year, a poll was held among the UvA Student Panel about the use of and satisfaction with the library website. The students have also given their opinion on what they consider important and less important functions.
Set-up of the survey
1200 students from the UvA Student Panel were asked the following questions:
- How often do you use the UvA Library website?
- What are the three most important functions of the website, as you use it on your desktop/laptop? The students could then rate the selected functions: bad, neutral, good or very good.
- What are the three least important functions of the website, as you use it on your desktop/laptop?
These questions were also asked in relation to the mobile site.
445 students from all faculties (incl. AUC) have answered the survey, a response percentage of 37%.
Results regular website
On average, the Library website is used by 56% of the students between daily and a number of times per month. For the FNWI and Medicine, the percentage is lower. The students of the other faculties, on the other hand, use the site more often. Nine percent does not know the website; another nine percent does know it, but never uses it.
The question about its most important functions gave the following ‘top 5’:
- Finding books with a specific author/title (mentioned by 46%)
- Downloading e-journals (44%)
- Performing subject searches (35%)
- Information on addresses and opening hours (33%)
- Borrowing books (24%)
These important functions for students were then rated. The above-mentioned functions all scored good or very good:
- Finding books with a specific author/title (85% rated it good or very good)
- Downloading e-journals (74%)
- Performing subject searches (78%)
- Information on addresses and opening hours (89%)
- Borrowing books (80%)
When asked about the least important functions, the students mentioned:
- Recommending a title for acquisition (mentioned by 51%)
- Contact library staff/request help (33%)
- Support on citing and/or publishing (30%)
Results mobile site
29% percent of the respondents does not know
http://m.uba.uva.nl. Another 50% does know the site, but never uses it.
Addresses and opening hours and the information on PCs and study spaces score highest here in importance, these were rated good or very good by 91% and 92% respectively.
As for the least important functions, the result was similar to that for the regular website.